An adorable and easy crochet star Christmas ornament.
Grab a warm cup of cocoa, bundle up, and make this cozy star crochet pattern! This star makes the perfect Christmas crochet ornament or leave off the hanger for an amigurumi star friend. Scroll down for the video tutorial and free star crochet pattern!
The pattern uses just a small amount of worsted weight yarn, so it’s the perfect pattern for using up small balls of yarn in your stash. You can even use two strands of lightweight yarn (DK weight yarn) held together to get the same look!
MATERIALS FOR STAR CROCHET PATTERN (RECOMMENDATIONS IN PARENTHESES)
- Medium weight yarn (worsted, aran, 10-ply) in 1 color (Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton or Rico Creative Cotton Aran)
- Hand-dyed Cotton Yarn is Birdies Knits in Day Dream
- 3.25 mm (D) hook (Clover Amour)
- Toy stuffing (Fairfield Poly-Fil)
- Small piece of beige or brown felt (TaDaa Studio Bamboo Felt in Sand Dollar or Coconut Shell)
- Sewing thread to match felt (Gutermann Sew-all Thread in Beige)
- Embroidery floss in black for face (DMC Embroidery Floss in black)
- Embroidery needle ((DMC Embroidery Needles)
- Sewing needle (Premium Hand Sewing Needles)
- Tapestry needle (DMC Tapestry Needle Size 16)
- Stitch marker (Clover Quick-Locking Stitch Markers Small – I LOVE these, they don’t leave big holes in your work!)
- Scissors (Gingher Stork Scissors)
- Cosmetic blush (L’Oreal Blush Palette – This would give you some color options for cheeks!)
- Small makeup or paint brush (Practk Pencil Smudge Brush)
To see a complete list of my FAVORITE amigurumi crochet tools and supplies, check out this blog post!
Some links in this post are affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, I will receive a small commission on purchases made through these links. Thank you for supporting the content you see here on Tiny Curl!
FINISHED SIZE OF CROCHET STAR
My finished crochet star is 3 inches (8 cm) tall and wide when using a 3.25 mm hook and Rico Creative Cotton Aran. You can use other hook and yarn combinations to make your crochet star bigger or smaller. Just make sure your stitches are tight to avoid stuffing showing through. I wrote about yarn and hook exchanges to change the size of your amigurumi in this blog post.
STITCHES & ABBREVIATIONS
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
hdc – half double crochet
inc – single crochet increase
magic ring – see tutorial here.
rnd(s) – round(s)
sc – single crochet
sl st – slip stitch
st(s) – stitch(es)
[ ] – repeat steps between brackets for the specified number of times
( ) – the number of stitches you should have at the end of each round
* * – complete the stitches between asterisks all in next stitch
- Worked in a continuous round.
- Mark the beginning of each round with a stitch marker.
- Demonstration photos are shown right-handed.
HOW TO CROCHET STAR VIDEO TUTORIAL
Subscribe to my YouTube channel here!
STAR CROCHET PATTERN
FLAT STAR (Make 2)
rnd 1: start with a magic ring, sc 5 into ring (5 sts)
rnd 2: inc 5 (10 sts)
rnd 3: [hdc 3 into next st, sc 1] 5 times (20 sts)
rnd 4: [sc 1, hdc 3 into next st, sc 2] 5 times (30 sts)
rnd 5: [sc 2, hdc 3 into next st, sc 3] 5 times (40 sts)
rnd 6: [sc 2, hdc 1, *hdc 1, dc 1, hdc 1* into next st, hdc 1, sc 3] 5 times (50 sts)
For first star, sl st 1 into next st, fasten off and weave in yarn tail. After making second star, place wrong sides together and slip stitch around through back loops only. Stuff before fully closing. See photo tutorial below for instruction.
Using yarn tail, make a loop at the top for ornament if desired.
SEWING STAR SIDES TOGETHER
MAKING AND ATTACHING THE FACE
To make the star’s face, you’ll need a small piece of felt, black embroidery floss, thread that matches the color of your felt, an embroidery needle, and a sewing needle.
• • • You can also use 6 mm safety eyes instead of a felt face. Just attach them wherever you’d like on your star and embroider a tiny smile! • • •
The finished crochet star!
I hope you enjoyed this cozy star crochet pattern! If you have any questions about this pattern, leave a comment below!
I’d love to see your crochet star – use #tinycurlpattern to share on Instagram or tag me @tinycurl, so I can see it and share it!
ヽ(ﾟｰﾟ*ヽ) This star crochet pattern is an original pattern by Kristina Turner of Tiny Curl. Please do not claim this star crochet pattern as your own. If you wish to share this free pattern, you may link to it, but please do not reprint it on your site. You may keep a copy for your own personal use, but please DO NOT sell the crochet pattern or distribute it. Thank you for your understanding.
You can sell items made from this free star crochet pattern, as long as they are handmade by you in a limited number and you give credit to me as the crochet designer. Please use the following line in the item description of any toy you are selling: • This item is handmade by (your name) from a design and pattern by Tiny Curl, Kristina Turner | tinycurl.co • (ﾉ*ﾟｰﾟ)ﾉ